Garage Door Opener Repair vs Replacement
Garage Doors – To Repair or to Replace?
It is not always clear to know if your garage door needs to be repaired or replaced. Sometimes the problem looks real bad as in the above picture but are fairly easy to resolve if you know what you are doing. The likely problem here was that the door came down on something and a cable slipped off one of the drums. Most of the time situations like this have been compounded by someone that is trying to fix it themselves. What probably happened next was someone looking at the door that was a little out of level and thought: “if I just loosened this screw………….” It’s like one of those situations with a bad outcome that began with: “Hey, watch this!” If the door didn’t have any structural damage before it may now.
The majority of garage doors manufactured are not car bumper proof. I saw one once but it was definitely not residential. On occasion when a door is hit it will just get blown out of its tracks and leave little or no damage to the sections. Usually there will be dents, in the case of steel doors, or cracks and splinters on wood doors. These dents and cracks can sometimes be cosmetic and sometimes they are structural. It may surprise you to know that structural damage may be easier to fix than cosmetic. Quite often a door can be reinforced to perform pretty well but there isn’t much that can be done for most dents besides just pushing or hammering them out. If the door is cracked or dented along the joints between sections it will require replacing whole sections.
Some manufactures are fairly reasonable about the cost of replacement section and others have such a high opinion of their product that section replacement becomes financially unrealistic. A good rule of thumb we use is: if more than two sections are damaged to the point that they need to be replaced you are approaching the cost of a new door. It just depends on how emotionally attached you are to your old door. You might think replacing a couple of sections should be a lot less expensive than a whole door but it is something like buying your car a piece at a time at the parts counter; that would cost a fortune!
If you’re still not sure, be sure to call us at The up and down garage doors.We can often tell what’s happening even over the phone.
Why Do Garage Door Openers Fail?
When it comes to Garage Door Failure, the biggest culprit is lack of maintenance.
You can have an older garage door out there; but if it’s properly maintained, it will work as good as or better than newer garage doors that aren’t being cared for.
“Garage doors are the largest moving part of your house. Yet it is the least maintained.”
The spring on your Garage door should last for decades, but if it is unevenly tensioned, it can break much, much sooner.
The motor should give good service for years and years, but if the belt or chain or screw isn’t properly lubricated, or it’s fighting to pull the door up a warped track or to overcome un-lubricated rollers, you could be wearing that motor out before it’s time.
Want a quick and dirty way to see if your door is suffering from lack of maintenance?
Disconnect it from the electric operator and then open and close it by hand — using muscle power and the spring alone to raise and lower the door. If it operates smoothly, it’s still in need of some preventative maintenance, but the door itself is probably in decent shape.
If it’s rough going, you’re door is in need of some definite TLC.
But the biggest reason to get preventative maintenance isn’t just to keep your door running smoothly and prevent breakdown.
The biggest reason is safety. More on this later, but first, let’s talk about how people mess up the maintenance on their garage door when they try to do the job themselves…
Do not hesitate to call us today at any of our locations to learn more about our openers. We will be happy to answer any further questions.
Recommended Garage Door Openers For New Installation
Call us to learn how this garage door opener easily connects to your iPhone, iPad or Android device.
8550W Elite Series DC Motor Belt Drive w/ Evercharge® Standby Power System –
A rich, reliable opener designed to perform and built to last for years of smooth, trouble free operation. It is extremely quiet.
This garage door opener does something really great too… it works when the power goes out! The 8550 is the ultimate in garage door opener technology and convenience.
- Battery Backup system ensures operation, even when the power is out
- Timer to close feature lets you choose to have the door automatically close after a pre-programmed number of minutes
- Energy-efficient operation consumes up to 75% less power in standy mode
- Belt drive system is durable, ultra-quiet and maintenance-free
- Whole garage lighting with dual side 200-watt CFL bulb-compatible design
- Uses multiple frequencies simultaneously for near-zero interference
- Wall Station: Provides door operation from the inside of your garage. Also includes an illuminated push-button and security vacation/lock switch so that your always protected.
- Wireless Keyless Entry System (WKES): Allows you to program your own 4-digit pin. It controls up to 3 different garage doors. Also provides temporary service for visitors
- Offers a safety reversal system included with a warning (system lights flash) when contact is sensed or made with any object
- Includes a limited lifetime warranty on the motor and belt and a five-year on all other parts (one-year on the battery)
8355 Premium Series 1/2 HP Belt Drive Opener
This model is the perfect choice for reliability, top performance and quality.
The belt is warranted for life and offers quiet operation.
- MyQ® technology securely monitor and control your garage door opener and houselights with your smartphone, tablet or computer.
- Convenient Features including 3 button remote control and multi-function control panel.
- The Smart Garage Door Opener® lets you electronically program your own security codes.
- Multi-Function Control Panel allows you to open and close your garage door, and turn opener lights on or off from inside the garage.
- Three-button remote control offers you more access and security to open and close up to three garage doors.
- A 200-watt light with adjustable light time delay.
- Great Safety features including the sensing technology, Protector System, Security Rolling Code Technology and PosiLock System.
- Includes a lifetime warranty on the motor and belt and a one-year on all other parts.
LiftMaster 8557W Elite 3/4 HP AC
This motor is really powerful and really quiet!
- MyQ® technology enables you to securely monitor and control your garage door opener and houselights with your smartphone, tablet or computer.
- Alerts can be received as email or pop-up (push) notifications on your mobile device so that you always know the status of your garage door and houselights.
- MyQ mobile app is a free download requiring no annual activation fee.
- P3™ Motors from LiftMaster® are reliable, durable and powerful – designed specifically for your needs.
- ¾ HP motor combines a strong pulling force with a steel reinforced belt to lift heavy doors and reinforced doors in high wind areas.
- Belt drive system means ultra-quiet performance – ideal if your home has living space above or next to the garage.
- Motor Vibration Isolation System (MVIS®) provides super quiet, smooth operation year after year.
- Energy-efficient operation consumes up to 75% less power in standby mode
- Lifetime motor and belt warranty, 5-year parts warranty.
- Security+ 2.0™ safeguards your household – with every click a new code is sent to the garage door opener so that the door opens only for you.
- PosiLock® locks down your door by electronically monitoring against a forced opening.
- Timer-to-Close remembers to close your garage door when you forget – automatically closes the door after a pre-programmed number of minutes.
- Alert-2-Close warning system provides audible and visual warnings when the garage door is about to close when using MyQ technology or Timer-to-Close.
- Motion detector activates the garage door opener lights as soon as you walk in so no more fumbling in the dark.
- The Protector System® has safety sensors that project a light beam across the garage door opening automatically reversing the door if anything interrupts the beam.
8365 ½ HP AC Chain Drive Garage Door Opener
Includes 3-button remote control, keypad and multi-function control panel
- Confidently know what’s going on at home with MyQ® Technology. It lets you monitor and control your Garage Door Opener and home lighting from anywhere (when paired with the Internet Gateway).
- Receive email or text alerts so you always know the status of your garage door and home lighting.
- Download the MyQ® mobile app for free. No annual activation fee required.
- Compatible with HomeLink®.
- Requires 828LM MyQ Internet Gateway to connect to MyQ Smartphone App.
- Prevent the door from closing if anything interrupts the safety beam that crosses the garage door opening.
- Lock down your garage door and against a forced opening with PosiLock®.
- Lifetime motor and one-year parts warranties.
Direct Drive Garage Door Openers
8500 Liftmaster Jackshaft Opener –
The Liftmaster Model 3800 Jackshaft Opener offers an ultra-quiet, space-saving, wall-mounted design. Specially designed for garages and unique applications that don’t allow for a traditional garage door opener, such as garages with very low, cathedral or obstructed ceilings.
- MyQ Technology is now available on a Jackshaft
- Ultra-quiet 24V DC motor performance
- Optional EverCharge™ battery backup system reliably opens door even when the power goes out
- Jackshaft Garage Door Opener Wall-Mount Installation – mounts on the left or right side of door – Saves tons of Ceiling Space
- Easily program additional remotes, keypads and/or keyless entry.
- Auto-force technology monitors garage door system and adjusts forces to temperature fluctuations, floor height and door track movement.
Liftmaster Available Accessories
- KeyPad – Uses a combination to allow you to open the garage door. Great for kids and whenever the remote control is not at your fingertips.
- Battery Back-up – Open and close the garage door when the power is out.
- Garage Door Monitor – You’ll know when the garage door is open or closed from any room in the house.
- Laser Parking Device – If you park your car in the garage. This is perfect. You’ll be lined up perfectly every time
- Remote Light – Turn on an inside lamp, Christmas lights etc. with your garage door remote. Never enter a dark house again!
- Deluxe Wall Control Unit – Operates the door and garage light. Plus, it gives time and temperature.